The remake of The Amityville Horror was released on April 14th, 2005. It was produced by Platinum Dunes and Radar Pictures along with being released by MGM and Dimension Films. It follows much of the same plot but makes various changes that are at odds with the facts pertaining to the original story.
- The house's basement is said to have been built in the 1692 but the whole house and basement was actually built in 1924.
- The imaginary friend/demon "Jodie" is stated to have been a member and victim of the DeFeo family murder, but there was no family member of that name.
- George Lutz is seen as being more disturbing than his original protrayal as he kills the family dog with an axe and prepares coffins for his family which angered the real George Lutz who sued the filmmakers for defamation, libel, and breach of contract. Through defmation was dismissed by the court in November 2005, he had an ongoing lawsuit that was unresolved by the time of his death on May 8th, 2006.
- This film came 9 years after Amityville Dollhouse and 26 years after the original.
- This was the first film to be released in theatres since Amityville 3-D in 1983.
- Dimension Films is working on Amityville: The Awakening which is set to release in 2017.
- This is the highest grossing film in the series earning $108 million at the box office.